The Return to School Plan 2020 for families https://www.tldsb.ca/returntoschool/

Please note, all COVID-19 information and updates can be found https://www.tldsb.ca/covid19/

Date:
December 7, 2021

Time:
6:45pm – 8:15pm

Chair:
Miranda Britton

Location:
Virtual via Google Meet

In Attendance (Invitees):
Laura Dursley (Principal), Mark Janke (teacher rep), Jen Novak, Amber Gordon, Miranda Britton, Mariko Fletcher, Jen O’Gorman, Kari Meeks

Regrets: 
Jeanette Odman, John Dinner, Tammy Coo, Stacey Lewis, Laura Goltz

Agenda Item

Owner

Estimated Time

Discussion Notes

Outcome/Action Item

Standing Agenda Items

Welcome to all in attendance

Miranda

2

 

 

Review of Agenda

Miranda

2

  • Addition of Laura Goltz’s District Parent Council Report to New Business

Agenda adopted
1st Jen N.
2nd Amber G.

Adoption of Minutes

Miranda

2

  • Motion to accept Minutes from September 28th, 2021.

Minutes adopted
1st Jen N.
2nd Amber G.

Business arising from minutes:

    • Township of ML Recreational Master Plan
    • Poinsettia Sale
    • Christmas Sale

 

Miranda

10

  • Miranda reached out to Susan Mazan for an update on Recreational Master Plan. Laura D. did meet with Susan Mazan and someone from the Township Public Works to walk the trails between Watt and the Fish Hatchery
  • Poinsettia Sale was a success, details included with Treasurer’s Report
  • Christmas Sale unable to happen again this year, Laura D. would like to look at having a similar event in the Spring (May Day or Spring Celebration)

Miranda to follow up with Susan Mazan to find out details about the Township’s process for developing their Recreational Master Plan.

Principal’s Report

    • Bullying Prevention/Safe and Accepting School Team
    • Breakfast Club Updates
    • Christ Church Lunches
    • Mental Health Resources
    • December Spirit Days
    • Electives
    • Parents in School
    • Rink update
    • Watt Logo Update
    • Newsletter

Laura

30

  • Laura highlighted the various Classroom and school wide initiatives for Kindness Week (footprints with intentions and OPP visit to 6/7/8 class
  • Introduced Council to the Safe and Accepting School Team as a collaboration between staff, parents and students to review bullying prevention and related Board policies. Looking for volunteers. Jen N. and Mariko F. offered to join the Team.
  • Breakfast Club is running more smoothly with the help of some amazing volunteers.
  • Christ Church has offered to pay for and pick up several hot lunches again this year. First one is pizza and will happen during the week before Christmas vacation. Discussing options for the new year with Ray Chan at Muskoka Woods. Christ Church has also provided for 11 Christmas Hampers to go to Watt families.
  • An overview of available mental health resources was given, including: the SSAC (in school counsellor) who can meet indivudally with students or work with groups/classes, the Public Health Nurse, TLDSB online resources, Family Connections Walk-In Clinics, and YWCA virtual programs  
  • December is a busy month at Watt, each classroom is working on decorating their classroom door, there are several spirit days planned, a virtual Christmas concert and carolling/hot chocolate on December 17th.
  • The Board has indicated that off-site electives will not happen this school year, however staff will try to come up with some options for electives on the Watt property.
  • The Board has indicated that parent volunteers will be allowed to volunteer outside of the school with protocols (such as proof of vaccination, masks)
  • Staff has expressed concern about managing use of the outdoor rink at Watt, but with the approval of outdoor parent volunteers, it might still be possible. Miranda to follow up with Laura in January.
  • Staff and students are in the process of developing a new, unique to Watt,team logo/name. ‘Watt Wild’ is the new name and a draft logo of a treeline silhouette has been created. Laura is looking for a graphic designer to help finalize the design. Jen N. to reach out to contacts re: design.
  • Many parents have requested that the monthly newsletter be reinstated to help families feel more connected to what is happening in the school. Many parents don’t use website/social media to keep up to date with the school and would prefer the old format of a monthly calendar (either paper or emailed) and a summary of events and learning that is happening. Potential topics for the newsletter include: mental health resources, summaries of what each class is learning that month, Council Corner, and other resources

 

 

 

Jen N. and Mariko F. offered to join the Safe and Accepting School Team

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Miranda to follow up with Laura D. in January re: skating rink protocols

 

 

Laura D. to reach out to a graphic designer for quote/design. Jen N. to see if she can get a quote/design from her connections.

Treasurer’s Report

Jen Novak

10

  • Poinsettia sales were $5610, costs were higher this year (Bradford costs and SchoolCash fees) Profit of $1836. Profits from 2019 were$1100 in comparison. Money to go towards transportation and outdoor/equipment
  • Jen N. created a Google Form to for Council to vote on various expenditures, including snowshoes, benches and various outdoor equipment. Results of the vote attached to these Minutes.

 

New Business

  • Sub-committees
  • Winterfest
  • Next Year’s Council
  • Pizza/Milk Sales
  • District Parent Council

Miranda

15

  • Discussion around whether or not to create subcommittees to look into fundraising for and purchasing either new playground equipment or a covered pavilion. Laura D. and Mark J. explained that the process to get new playground equipment or build on school property has changed and using donated materials/labour may not be an option anymore. Laura D. to investigate the process further, Miranda to follow up.
  • Winterfest (an outdoor, nighttime school event) may be a possibility this year, Miranda to follow up with Laura D. in January. Last year’s take home Winterfest kit was successful, so could be an option again this year.
  • Jen N. and Miranda will not be taking on Executive Council roles next year, and suggested that others consider getting more involved for the remainder of the year.
  • Parents have also expressed an interest in bringing back regular pizza days and milk sales. Laura to look into the logistics of both, also discussed other options such as Pita Pit
  • Laura Goltz absent, Miranda to request update on District Parent Council (minutes attached to this agenda)
  • Mark and Mariko also discussed the possibility of bringing Elizabeth Fry Society mental health programming into the school

Laura D. to find out more details about what the Board allows re: building projects and playground equipment. Miranda to follow up.

 

 

 

Decision about Winterfest will be made in January.

 

 

 

 

Laura D. to look into  logistics of bringing back milk sales and pizza days

 

 

Mark and Mariko to connect re: programming

 

Date for next meeting

Miranda

2

  • Next meeting set for Tuesday, March 29th, 2022 at 6:45 pm via Google Meet

 

 

Adjournment

 

 

 

  • Motion to adjourn meeting at 8:15 pm

Meeting Adjourned
1st Jen N.
2nd Amber G.

District School Council / Parent Involvement Committee Meeting
Thursday, October 28, 2021; 6:30pm

AGENDA

Welcome and Introductions – Superintendent Paul Goldring

Director’s Update – Director of Education Wes Hahn

  • Provincial Updates
  • TLDSB Updates
    • Equity & Inclusion:  Systemic Barrier investigation through system census focus.
    • Learning Focus: Emphasis on improving instructional practice through professional development.
    • Destreaming and grade 9 math:  Inclusive practices in place with focus on learning and engaging students.
    • Pathways and Transitions:  Providing opportunities through trades focus in secondary schools.
    • Communication:  Working closely with Trustees to ensure information is promoted to the community as it should be.  Looking to continually improve communicating effectively throughout the school year.
    • Work in School:  Trustees and Superintendents are appreciative of the hard work and enthusiasm of all staff.
    • Visitors to Schools:  Currently no visitors are allowed in schools.  All essential visitors, 18 and over, need to show proof of vaccination and personal ID.  We expect the current regulations will start to relax as the provincial government relaxes the provincial restrictions.
    • School Trips:  Teachers are starting to plan day trips to attractions nearby. Moving at a slow and cautious pace.  As restrictions are relaxed, more doors will start to open for overnight trips and excursions.  Events that can be setup outdoors, will be reviewed, however, at this time, these events are not allowed.  Yearley trips and year end trips: taking back to the table to review. Hopefully we will have more information in the coming months.
    • COVID-19 cases and communication to parents and community.  Public health needs to verify the situation and depending on how busy they are, or how involved the investigation becomes, the board may not have final information quickly.  Once the health unit confirms the cases, letters are sent immediately.
    • Ventilation systems updated with MERV 13 systems and Hepa Filters have been installed in classrooms where there are no ventilation or windows.

Equity & Inclusion: Student Census Consultation – Superintendent Jennifer Johnston

  • Upcoming Student Census. Understanding systemic barriers for our students.  Currently in the data gathering phase to identify barriers.
  • TLDSB has partnered with Tana Turner – Presentation: Student Census Overview Presented by Turner Consulting

COVID-19: Fall Overview – Superintendent Paul Goldring

  • Overall, there are very small number of cases in our schools.
  • Vaccination for students aged 5-12:  Clinics will be held in schools when this is put in place.  Information will be provided to parents at that time from individual health units.
  • Testing kits available for parents – District Health Units, HKPRDHU & SMDHU will direct this implementation.  More information will be provided when known.
  • Spectators allowed at outdoor events only:  Now allowed as of Nov. 1st.  Physical distancing and masks must be worn.
  • Recycling programs will begin again at schools.

Advance Questions – Superintendent Paul Goldring

  • Advance questions and questions asked in the online chat were addressed.

Updates for School Councils

  • 2020-2021 Annual Report 
  • Call for Regional Chairs
  • District Chairs Board Parent’s Reaching Out Grant
    • Forthcoming, more information to follow
  • School Parent Engagement Grants
    • $500 per school – used to engage parents at the school level
  • Feed All Four
    • Funding available for students or families in need.  Contact your school principal or [email protected] for more information.

Upcoming 2021-2022 DSC-PIC Meetings
Thursday, January 20, 2022
Thursday, March 31, 2022
Thursday, May 19, 2022

District Chairs 2020-2021:
City of Kawartha Lakes         Grant Boudrault
Haliburton County                Jen Sharpe – Position Open 2021-2022
District of Muskoka                Kim Shroeder

Date: September 28, 2021 Time: 6:49pm – 8:19pm Location: Virtual via Google Meet

Chair: Miranda Britton

In Attendance (Invitees):

Laura Dursley (Principal), Susan Mazan (Township of Muskoka Lakes Councillor – Ward B), Kim Small (teacher rep), Jen Novak, Laura Goltz, Amber Gordon, Miranda Britton, Stacey Lewis,

Mariko Fletcher, John Dinner, Jen O’Gorman, Kari Meeks

Regrets:

Jeanette Odman, Tammy Coo

Agenda Item

Owner

Estimated Time

Discussion Notes

Outcome/Action Item

Standing Agenda Items

Welcome to all in attendance

Miranda

10

  • Welcomed Laura Dursley to the school

  • Welcomed Susan Mazan to the meeting

  • Everyone introduced themselves


Review of Agenda

Miranda

2

  • Motion to pass Agenda as presented

Agenda adopted 1st John D.

2nd Amber G.

Adoption of Minutes

Miranda

2

  • One name change to be made (Kate s/b Miranda in Welcome section)

  • Motion to accept Minutes with one edit

Minutes adopted 1st Laura G.

2nd Jen N.

Business arising from minutes:

  • Township of ML Recreational Master Plan

  • Parent Survey Results

Susan Mazan / Miranda

15

  • Susan Mazan introduced the new Master Plan that is being created for recreational facilities, trails etc. in the Township. Encouraged parents to

complete the survey that the Township has created and attend the Open House

Committee formed to work with Susan Mazan re: advocating for Watt families

(committee: Laura D., Laura G., Jen N., Jen O.)




on October 6th. Would also like to learn more about the trails at Watt and perhaps work with a group of parents to come up with Watt-specific recommendations

  • Miranda presented results from the survey that was sent out to parents re: how to best use fundraising money. Outdoor equipment, outdoor learning areas and field trips were the top 3 choices. 44 people completed the survey.


Committee formed to develop a spending plan (including researching any commitments already made re: Bent River money) to present to Council

(committee: Miranda, Jen N., Laura G.)

Principal’s Report

  • School Start-up

  • Covid Protocols

  • Staffing Updates

  • Staff Rep for Council

  • Funding Requests

  • Parent Engagement Grant 2021-2022

  • Feed All Four Fund

  • TLDSB Thought Exchange

Laura

15

  • School start-up has been very smooth

  • Covid protocols include hand sanitizing in and out of school, masks indoors and when less than 6 feet outdoors

  • There are 3 online teachers connected with Watt, they join staff meetings and professional development sessions

  • Ms. Wiggins is teaching Grade 1 while Mrs. Veitch is on leave, Ms. Pennie is teaching Grade 2/3

  • Kim Small and Mark Janke will share the teacher rep position on Council

  • No funding requests from Council at this time, staff is reviewing equipment needs

  • Waiting to hear back about Parent Engagement Grant Amount

  • Feed All Four Fund is available for families who require financial assistance, ask Laura/Laurie for details

  • Council is reminded to participate in the TLDSB Thought Exchange

  • Laura let us know that the Indigo Adopt





a School program (through Coles bookstore in Huntsville) has raised

$1500 for the library at Watt, continues until October 3rd

  • Laura and Kim both made suggestions re: potential items that could be purchased for the school including outdoor wagons for each classroom equipped with whatever each teacher needs for outdoor learning). Kim talked about the outdoor classroom at Irwin Memorial in Dwight where a tent has been placed adjacent to the school so that the SmartBoard and wifi are accessible

  • Miranda asked about the skating rink and Laura said that she is open to the idea, just needs to find out more details, John Dinner offered to help with the rink

  • Laura G. asked about the status of Breakfast Club and Laura explained that due to Covid restrictions the budget isn’t going as far. Rather than buying in bulk and preparing portions in school, the shoppers have had to buy more expensive pre-packaged, prepared food. Laura is working on a solution for this issue.

  • Jen O. asked whether outdoor hand sanitization stations were required and Laura felt they were doing fine without them.

  • Jen O. asked about bus rules and why there are 3 kids allowed per seat. Laura

suggested contacting JoAnn Constantino with the transportation dept


Miranda to follow up with Laura to provide details on past skating rink portocols.


Laura to determine a more efficient way to provide food for Breakfast Club. Miranda to follow up to see how parents can help.

Treasurer’s Report

Jen Novak

10

  • Opening balance is $1,350.39

  • Jen summarized the expenses from last year including: Winterfest Kits, gifts for teachers, lightning bolt necklaces for

graduation, parting gifts for teachers and teacher appreciation gift certificates


Election of Council

Miranda

15

  • Miranda reviewed the Executive Roles

  • Reviewed submitted nominations (2)

  • Council members elected for this year’s Council are as follows: Chair (Miranda), Vice Chair (Vacant), Treasurer (Jen N.), Secretary (Laura G.)

  • Laura G. volunteered to serve as the school rep on the District School Council

/ Parent Involvement Committee again this year

Chair:

Miranda (self-nominated) 2nd Jen N.


Vice Chair: Vacant


Treasurer:

Jen N. (self-nominated) 2nd Laura G.


Secretary:

Laura G.(self-nominated) 2nd Laura G.

New Business

  • Parent Survey Next Steps

  • Poinsettia Sale/Xmas Sale

Miranda

15

  • Subcommittee has been struck to create a fundraising/spending plan taking into account results from Parent Survey (see Business Arising from Minutes above). Miranda suggested reaching out to teachers to see what ideas for outdoor learning make the most sense.

  • Discussion around fundraising logistics including parents being allowed at the school, collecting money etc. At this point nothing has changed from last year. Miranda would like to start organizing/problem solving earlier this

year so that we can find a way to have


(see Business Arising from Minutes re: subcommittee)




the poinsettia sale. Kari Meeks suggested that June Plant Sale pickup could happen at Windermere Garden Centre if we are still unable to use the school.

Miranda to begin working on logistics for Poinsettia sale, will request feedback/assistance from Council as needed

Date for next meeting

Miranda


  • Discussion around frequency of the meetings, Stacey Lewis suggested that more meetings or at least more frequent communication might be helpful this year as we have more planning/projects on the go this fall.

  • Also discussed the potential of meeting in person at another location (i.e. Ullswater Community Centre). Amber pointed out that Google Meet is a more accessible and sometimes more convenient way to hold meetings

  • Laura G. noted that Tuesdays are not an ideal day for her this year

  • Miranda to send out email to determine best meeting day/style


Miranda to send out email survey to determine best day and style (in person/virtual) for future meetings. Next meeting date to be determined based on responses.

Adjournment



  • Meeting adjourned at 8:19 pm


Watt Public School Parent Council Meeting – Approved Minutes from March 16th/21 Google Meet

Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 6:45 pm via Google Meet

In Attendance: Dianna Petrie, Jen Novak, Miranda Britton, Amber Gordon, Laura Goltz, Stacey Lewis

Regrets: Jen O’Gorman, Jeannette Odman

  1. Welcome – Chair
  2. Adoption of Minutes from December 8, 2020 meeting
  3. Jen 1st Laura 2nd
  4. Business Arising from Minutes (5 mins) 
  5. Council Facebook Page (Britton)  
    • Many people/followers have switched over to the Watt Public School page which is what we were hoping for.  The Watt parent council page is not deactivated.
  6. Winterfest Kits (Novak) 
    • The activity bags were assembled and sent out.  Many notes of thanks came in from school families.
    • Big thank you to Jen Novak for assembling the bags!
  7. Outdoor Equipment Review (Petrie)
    • A review of snow shoes available at the school was done.  They have determined that most of the shoes they have are a smaller size.  They are going to do up a quote for approx. 50 sets of larger size snow shoes.  Quote will be presented to council once assembled for consideration.  Contact info for Algonquin outfitters has been provided to the school by Jen Novak.
  8. Review Correspondence – Chair
  9. Email from Kari Meeks re: Plant Sale 
    • See New Business
  1. Chair’s Report
  2. Plant Sale (table to New Business)
  3. Watt Wear (table to New Business)
  4. Principal’s Report (20 mins)
  5. COVID Protocols
  • Have been some school based covid cases across Muskoka and across the board
  • When a case is reported, the health unit will contact the school
  • Principal provides information to the health unit as directed
  • There is a quarantine process in place based for the student identified.  Siblings, classmates and some school bus contacts may be asked to quarantine.
  • Only 3 staff go into multiple classrooms and when they do they wear PPE that includes masking and face shield
  • Direct contacts of a positive case are notified by Principal Petri and after that a general letter would go out to the school population.
  1. Asymptomatic Testing
  • Voluntary testing is available and has begun within the school board
  • Watt public will be included in the invitation for asymptomatic testing in the coming weeks, and will be located in Huntsville.
  • With the asymptomatic testing, you do not need to stay home and quarantine
  • If you have any further questions about asymptomatic testing, please contact Principal Petrie
  • Principal Petrie will look into information for families around what to expect with asymptomatic testing.
  1. Christ Church Grant Money
  • A number of meals have been provided to the kids at Watt each week
  • The kids have loved the opportunity for special meals
  1. Winterfest Activity Day
  • Winterfest will be a full day outside on March 1
  • There will be some special items throughout the day for the kids
  • The kids will need to stay in their cohorts during the day, and the event has been set up as a cohort challenge to make it even more fun
  • Cleaning protocols are in place
  1. Graduation
  • Covid will likely impact grad again this year
  • When we get closer things will come clearer about what restrictions will be in place
  • School has received permission to have a photog to the school for grad photos only
  • Students have brought forward some creative ideas for how to have a covid safe ceremony 
  • School with reach out to families to see what options they prefer for the graduation 
  • For the grad’s last year – they are still looking for some sort of ceremony.  Conversations have been happening in the background and last years grads will be contacted with options and information around diplomas and other pieces for the graduates.
  1. EQAO update
  • There will be no EQAO this year
  1. Self-Generated funds
    • Principal Petrie received a memo regarding self generated funds (any funds not received from ministry).  
    • Funds must be used within the year the funds are raised
    • Fundraising must be completed with a purpose and a plan
    • Within 5 years, all funds must be spent and then each year after that funds must be spent within the year it is raised
    • The Bent River fund is sitting around $14,000.  
    • There are conditions on how some funds should be spent
    • General discussion around existing funds was had
    • Some ideas brought forward, are around electives and playground equipment.
  2. Treasurer’s Report (Novak – 10 mins)
  3. Current Council balance
  • $2300 is current parent council bank balance
  1. Anticipated expenses for rest of school year
  • Parting gifts for teachers still needed, teacher appreciation luncheon still to happen, grad awards still to happen, food/snacks for grad also, track and field awards may also be an upcoming expense.
  1. New Business (15 mins)
  2. District Parent Involvement Committee Update (Goltz)
  • Reviewed covid protocols
  • Reviewed feed all four fund, which supports families who may need support (could this info go out on the website and Facebook page?
  • The plans for the next school year will be ministry driven, and at this time they are planning for in school learning.
  • Results from the Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) Parent Survey on the IEP experience can be reviewed at this link: https://www.tldsb.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/IEP-Survey-Infographic.pdf 
  • Ann Douglas spoke at the last district meeting and there will be another guest speaker at the next meeting.  Then it will be determined if they will be invited back to present some thing that would be open to everyone. 
  1. Parent Engagement Grant allocation
  • Cost of Watt Winterfest supplies will come from the parent engagement allocation.
  • Vote on this:  1st Laura, 2nd Stacey
  1. Plant Sale (Britton)
  • We have been asked if we will do a plant sale this year
  • There are other sales happening this year, so may be some competition for sales
  • Is this something we should pursue based on the need to spend funds within reasonable time?
  • Popular vote is to proceed with the sale and put the funds towards the cost of new snowshoes as noted in above minutes
  • Vote: 1st by Laura, 2nd by Amber 
  1. Watt Wear (Britton)
  • There has been some request from staff and students for a new order of “Watt Wear”
  • Some resistance to new logo
  • A number of places have been contacted for quotes
  • Could the option for both logos be offered at this time?  Could we provide a “vintage” option to allow for one more option for order? 
  • Miranda will get more details on the 3 places.
  1. Graduation

– Discussion around options for grade 8 gifts from council

  1. Next Meeting Date (TBD in June 2021)
  2. Adjournment – 8pn